Coronavirus delays San Pedro waterfront groundbreaking to 2021, grand opening to 2022 – Daily News

on Jun9
by | Comments Off on Coronavirus delays San Pedro waterfront groundbreaking to 2021, grand opening to 2022 – Daily News |

 

The coronavirus pandemic continues changing plans and lifestyles — including San Pedro’s waterfront development plans.

The groundbreaking for the community’s long-awaited new waterfront, initially set for this year, has officially been pushed back to early 2021 and its grand opening to 2022, developers said via email late last week.

The groundbreaking was originally set for sometime around March. But that’s also when the pandemic hit, prompting stay-at-home orders across the state and county, forcing mass closures of businesses deemed not essential.

As a result, some work on the development has been pushed back. The San Pedro Public Market is now expected to open in 2022, a year later than planned.

In April, developers said the timeline for the ambitious project likely would be affected by the coronavirus outbreak.

But despite the delay, the Ratkovich Company and Jerico Development said, in Friday, June 5, email, that the project remains on track.

“Our project remains active and our mission continues,” the emailed release said.

That mission, they wrote, is “to provide a world-class waterfront destination like no other, featuring attractions, waterside dining, year-round outdoor entertainment and unique retail offerings.”

The delay could also lead developers to incorporate some lessons from the pandemic, such as creating larger outdoor patio spaces. Public health officials have repeatedly stressed the need for social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus; officials with cities throughout LA County, including the city of Los Angeles and Long Beach, have worked on expanding outdoor dining options so restaurants can serve more customers despite guidelines cutting the number of people allowed at such establishments.

“The ongoing public health crisis has greatly impacted our communities and the way our shared spaces will evolve,” the developers said. “It is important to take this time to review our existing plans to ensure that they maximize the open-air nature of our 42-acre site and best support the developing needs of tenants and all partners in this new era.”

That may include, developers said in a followup email on Monday, June 8, “leaning into even greater outdoor or mixed indoor/outdoor options (and) changing entrance mechanisms.”

Included in the plans already are extensive outdoor public spaces, including an open-air amphitheater and alfresco dining.

Further discussion of design and attraction specifics will include input from future tenants, developers said.

Other than the San Pedro Fish Market, no tenants have yet been announced. Approximately $10 million has been invested in the project to date, which includes costs for design, permitting, leasing and the master plan for the site. The Port of Los Angeles currently is laying the groundwork for some of the infrastructure, including ongoing construction on a town square and promenade.

The new development will be constructed where the old Ports O’ Call Village once stood.

Already in place are a $30 million pledge in equity financing and a 66-year land lease from the Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners. Concert promoter Nederlander is also involved in the development and management of the 6,000-seat outdoor amphitheater.

Sign up for The Localist, our daily email newsletter with handpicked stories relevant to where you live. Subscribe here.



Previous postNumber of Southern California Protest Arrests Remain Elusive – NBC Los Angeles Next postBig Brothers Big Sisters LA Getting More Sign Ups, Asking for More Mentors – NBC Los Angeles


Los Angeles Financial times


Copyright © 2021 Los Angeles Financial times

Updates via RSS
or Email